Sunday, February 15, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I just saw this movie and it was really, really good. But as I sat there I couldn't help but think about life for poor people throughout this world we live in. There is a severe disproportion of wealth in this world and for some reason we accept this as a part of life. Why? Does Donald Trump really need a solid gold door? What about a nice oak door and the money he would have spent on his gold door went to charity?

But then it makes me look at my own life. I have a brand new cell phone and an iPod. We have 2 t.v.'s, 2 computers. I love Starbucks and buy coffee there several times a week. Should I give these luxuries up because I have so much more than so many people in the world have? I feel conflicted about this and don't know what the right answer is.

If you have a job and work really hard, or have a really good idea - then you earn a lot of money because you are rewarded for your hard work and/or intelligence. But when does it stop being just rewards and start becoming too much excess?

No comments: